Last updated on February 15th, 2020 at 06:41 pm
Watercolor markers are a unique medium for artwork because they combine the properties of watercolor paint and watercolor brushes to realize beautiful artwork. These markers are liked because they provide watercolor artists with significant control over their artwork. Most art pieces created using watercolor markers usually have a light wash effect similar to that of regular watercolor paint.
With the many brands available in the market choosing a watercolor marker can be tricky, and it is, therefore, crucial that you are on the lookout for trademark signs such color vibrancy, line control, dissolvability when mixed with water and the surface that you will be using to create your artwork. Other things that you can consider are the additional tools that you can use with the watercolor markers such as paintbrushes. We looked for the best watercolor markers and came up with the list below of some of the best markers in the market to get you started on your journey.
1. Spectrum Noir Aqua Markers
Spectrum Noir took a different path with these aqua markers because unlike their other markers which are alcohol based, the aqua markers are water-based and provide a vast range of color options for artists. The color profile of these markers consists of Primary, Essentials, Floral, and Earth colors which are just enough to capture a subject with sufficient detail effectively. The markers are of high quality with excellent lightfastness and pigment dissolvability. It also features a dual nib and hexagonal design to ensure that the pen does not roll while you use them.
The markers are acid-free which means that your art will be long-lasting.
The markers diffuse quickly when they encounter water which makes them ideal for blending.
They are affordable and can be used by beginner and intermediate artists.
The dual nib design facilitates the creation of fine details on artwork.
- The spectrum noir markets contain 12 markers in the pack which may be a limited selection for some artists.
- You cannot buy the colors individually so should one of the markers dry out you have to buy a new pack or settle for a marker from a different brand.
2. Tropic Desire Watercolor Markers
Consisting of 20 watercolor markers this set of markers by tropic desire is ideal for all artists regardless of their skill level. The watercolor markers by Tropic Desire deliver exceptional performance with a good lightfastness grading and highly pigmented colors that ensure that your artwork remains vibrant. Artists do not have to rely heavily on color blending as the color selection is excellent. You also get a travel case with Velcro closure to transport your colors should you wish to use them outside of the studio. With a single nib design, you are limited to only brush strokes, and it is challenging to create detailed work.
- You receive money back satisfaction guarantee.
- The watercolor markers are super affordable.
- You get a travel case which is excellent for mobility and working outside of your studio confines.
- The single nib design caps the creative limits of an artist.
3. TanMit Watercolor Markers
Consisting of 60 dual tip watercolor markers, these Tanmit markers offer a wide range of high-quality markers. The tips of the markers are a brush tip coupled with a micro pen like a fine tip for both brush strokes and detailed artwork. Except for a few concerns here and there the performance of the markers is excellent.
- The markers are versatile and can be used for multiple uses ranging from lettering, pattern creation, and artwork.
- They are great for beginners as they are easy to use. Nevertheless, they can be used by professionals and intermediate artists.
- Dual tip design for attaining multiple techniques.
- The markers are inexpensive.
- The dissolvability of the markers is wanting. Up-close examination of your artwork will reveal color pigment remnants.
- If you are a professional, there are better watercolor markers that are available for you.
4. MozArt Supplies Watercolor Markers Set
Beginners wishing to take the deep dive with watercolor markers should consider this set by MozArt Supplies. While these markers have no relation whatsoever with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, they are exceptional premium grade watercolors that a lot of artists will enjoy. The markers feature a dual tip with a slender, lightweight barrel ideal for calligraphy, watercolors, and creative lettering. What makes these markers unique is that the tips are made using synthetic fiber which makes them a great practice medium to develop your skill with.
- You get a satisfaction guarantee. Even though they are not specific as to whether the guarantee is money back or a replacement, you will appreciate the guarantee effort all the same.
- You get a wide array of colors as you can choose to get either the 12 or 20 pack markers
- Relatively low price point.
- The tips can spring back to fine tip after each stroke.
- They cannot be purchased individually.
5. Letraset Watercolor markers
The Letraset markers are broad barreled markers akin to typical markers. They have dual tips for both broad strokes, and exquisite details and they offer great control for artists. The performance by these markers is unexpected as they blend easily and have excellent lightfastness rating. The colors are also vibrant with saturated hues.
- The package has a blending marker included in addition to the 12 watercolor markers.
- The tips are firm, broad and ideal for all artist level.
- The dissolvability of the pigment in water is impeccable as you can almost fail to notice the initial sketch before blending.
- The color profile is basic and could be slightly elementary for professionals and experienced watercolorist.
- The tips of the markers resemble typical markers as opposed to a brush.
Watercolor markers can be found in two forms. They are either alcohol-based or water-based, and each has its unique characteristics. Artists typically appreciate the watercolor markers because they are one of the most straightforward mediums to use. Most individuals have experienced using tags either in their childhood or as adults which is why they are likely to feel effortless once you begin using them. They are also very portable, and you can get to enjoy working outdoors.