Last updated on January 2nd, 2020 at 09:51 pm
Illustration has evolved and continues to become more complex by the day. But the evolution hasn’t left out the tablets that illustrators use. Today, unlike in recent years when the Wacom Intuos was the only go to tablet for Adobe illustration available, there are numerous options suited for literally all budgets.
While being spoiled for choice is a good thing, the downside is that it makes it really hard for illustrators to know which tablet is best suited for them based on their experience and need. While one illustrator may opt for a tablet that they can use professionally, another illustrator may want a basic tablet because they are passionate about art or it is their hobby.
Keeping in mind aspects such as the cost, power, tablet features among other features, we have managed to put together a list of what we consider to be the best tablets for adobe illustrator.
1. Wacom Intuos Draw
If you’re just beginning to use Adobe Illustrator, the Wacom Intuos is perfect for you as it will provide you with great user experience thanks to the stylus pen sold with it. Besides, Wacom is synonymous with illustration tablets since time immemorial, which therefore guarantees you will get a quality device.
A simple tablet with a compact design, this device is compatible with all major operating systems and is very easy to set up. Once you are done with the setup, you will get a free downloadable drawing pack which allows you to choose between Corel Painter Essentials 6, Corel AfterShot 3 or ArtRage. These programs come with tutorials included which makes using them easy.
The device is low-priced and comes with a 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity as well as a 2540 lpi. The tablet is ideal for photo editing, animation, and digital art. While the price may seem low for most people, this tablet doesn’t compromise on the feature sets that are designed to give you an exceptional drawing experience.
It has a 1024 level pressure pen and a smooth working area that ensures that you have a drawing experience that is similar to Wacom’s higher range tablets. You can easily connect the tablet to your Windows or Mac computer using a USB cable. The size of this tablet makes it ideal for artists with limited desktop areas as it gives you more room to create.
The pen of the Wacom Intuos draw does not come with an eraser. This may be a small detail, but the inconvenient it causes is hard to ignore. Users also complained that the devices drivers don’t work appropriately as they experienced programs launching programs like Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
2. Microsoft Surface Book 2
If you are an illustrator that has a preference for working with windows, then this is the perfect device for you. The Microsoft surface book 2 is the ultimate 2-in-1 tablet/laptop offering computing versatility with the simple twist of the screen.
Featuring an 8th generation Intel Quad Core i7 Processor, 256 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM and running on Windows 10 Pro, the Microsoft Surface Book 2 it is touted as the fastest Surface Book yet, with 4x more power. Illustrators will appreciate this device because its features facilitate effective working with no lags.
It also comes with a vibrant pixel display with enhanced graphics performance meaning that you can accurately view illustrations in their true form. It has a 15-inch touchscreen and can be used in four different modes. It is great for multiple uses as it can also function as a regular laptop
The tablet is very expensive, and the stylus pen is also sold separately which means buyers will incur an additional cost in order to buy it.
3. Huion H610 Pro
Going by user reviews and reactions, if there is one device that Huion got right, it is the H610 Pro. The device has excellent features that most illustrators will not only appreciate but fall in love with.
In spite of the inclusion of the word Pro in its name, the device has been reported to be suitable for both beginners and experienced users. This is because the device is compatible with both Mac and Windows operating systems which are frequently used by most PC owners and works well with Adobe Illustrator as with other programs such as Photoshop, Corel Painter, Autodesk Sketchbook, Manga Studio, Clip Studio, and Zbrush.
It has a large unrestricted drawing surface that measures 10 inches by 6.25 inches and includes a rechargeable drawing pen with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. The pen offers great control and the transition lines in your sketches will never be the same again.
This tablet is ideal for both right and left-handed users and has 8 express keys that are customizable as well as 16 hotkeys on the top for shortcuts. The tablet has a one year manufacturer’s warranty.
Some users reportedly experienced difficulties when installing the H610 Pro drivers. The pen is also rechargeable which means you will lose some work time as you wait for it to charge.
4. Yiynova MVP22U
The Yiynova MVP22U has often been compared to the Wacom Cintiq 13HD besides the associated price tag. This is because it has similar capabilities to the later products.
As part of the package, there is an artist’s glove included. The artist glove ensures your hand is steady while you sketch and goes a long way in enhancing the outcome of your illustrations. It also includes a high accuracy pen that has 2048 pressure levels which come in handy for illustrators and facilitates a more intuitive illustration process.
Complete with an IPS panel, it also has a fully interactive display screen/ drawing area with a full high definition of 1920 by 1080. Because of this, the MVP22U combines the sensitivity of a drawing tablet with the display of a tablet computer, making it the ultimate drawing tool for illustrators.
Powered externally, the Yiynova MVP22U is less portable in comparison to its competitors. The device is not familiar with most people which makes finding reliable information about it difficult.
5. Wacom Intuos Pro Digital Tablet
Wacom has become synonymous with quality illustration tablets. Most creatives
use the Adobe Illustrator program for their design work. If you are considering a
tablet that is bundled with amazing features and one that can run the Illustrator
program quite easily, then look no further than the Wacom Intuos Pro Digital
- Available in three different sizes – small, medium and large
- Choose between the paper edition or regular edition
- The revamped Wacom pen featured in this tablet is revamped and boasts of 8,192
pressure sensitivity levels for accuracy when used for creating illustrations
- The pen has inbuilt tilt support and is battery-free hence it doesn’t need to be
- Has a pen stand included that’s used for keeping the pen when not in use
- Compatible with various versions of Mac and Windows operating system
- Has an active area that is large and a slim design
- Bluetooth connectivity is supported in paper mode for wirelessly connecting it to
- Easily customize the express keys to create your own shortcuts
- It has a multi-touch functionality
- Reasonably priced bearing in mind the features it comes packed with
- Cannot function without the latest drivers from Wacom
- Has a poor battery life
6. Huion INSPIROY Q11K Tablet
The Huion INSPIROY Q11K is another excellent Adobe Illustrator tablet thanks to the ergonomic design and the smooth surface. The ergonomic design means you get to rest your wrists comfortably to reduce fatigue when working.
- Has an ergonomic design that lets you rest your wrists to lessen fatigue that results from long hours of working
- The tablet has a pretty design with curvy edges, a smooth surface, and rounded corners
- Has an active are that measures 11-inches and is huge enough for you to work on your designs and projects easily and quickly
- The Huion pen features has undergone an upgrade and come with 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity resulting in an improved performance and ultimate accuracy
- The digital pen makes it easy for you to create precise strokes that can be anything between hairline to thick lines
- The pen has an inbuilt nib extractor that offers a lightweight and balanced drawing experience
- Wireless connectivity means that you get to shift and move the tablet around without having to worry about chords or tangling
- With one single charge, you get up to 40 hours of battery life
- Some users have reported encountered challenges when connecting to the internet
- The button for quick response has response issues
Whether you are a professional looking to purchase an illustration tablet as a long-term investment or a novice who’s just starting out you must keep in mind that not all tablets are suited for Adobe Illustrator. If Adobe Illustrator is your preferred choice of illustration software, it is advisable that you do a thorough research and read multiple user reviews on the functionality of the tablet with the aforementioned software.