Last updated on April 11th, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Drawing comics can only be fun if you have the right set of tools to go with it. A drawing tablet will come in handy for you as an illustrator when you need to put your ideas down. But it’s not just about buying any tablet. You need to get a powerful drawing tablet that will be best suited for the demands that your artistry requires.
Today, choosing a tablet can be overwhelming since there are hundreds of tablets available in the market today. If you are a comic artist and are in the market for a drawing tablet – whether you want to upgrade or get into the drawing tablet ecosystem – below is our guide for the best tablets for drawing comics that you can consider purchasing.
1. Wacom Intuos Pro Digital Tablet
The Wacom Intuos tablet is a darling for most creatives ranging from graphic designers, illustrators to comic artists. One thing that makes it irresistible is the fact that it is available in small, medium and large size letting you choose what works best for your projects.
• Comes in three different sizes – small, medium and large – and you get to choose whether you want it in regular, paper edition or the pro edition style
• Updated pen technology that boasts of pressure sensitivity of 8192 levels for the needed precision, has inbuilt tilt support and is battery-free which means you can start working on your comics immediately you get it out of the box
• It comes with an included pen stand with a sleek design for storage
• USB port available
• It has a larger active area compared to most tablets
• Compatible with Windows 7 and later versions as well as Mac OS 10.10 and beyond
• Customizable express keys for easy access for your commands
• Well-priced given the features that are packed in this tablet
• Users have complained about the nib of the pen getting easily worn out due to the pen’s surface
• Issues with the driver
2. Huion INSPIROY Q11K Tablet
Huion is an established brand when it comes to the drawing tablet space. The Huion INSPIROY Q11K Tablet is quite affordable which makes it an attractive buy for comic artists who want to buy their first drawing tablet without breaking a bank.
• Has an ergonomic design coupled with curvy edges, a smooth surface and rounded corners ensuring maximum user comfort
• The design enables you to easily rest your wrist when working along the edge to lessen the fatigue that is common with long hours of work
• An 11-inch active area that lets you develop your comic designs easily and quickly
• Enjoy 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity from the pen that has been updated for advanced performance and precision
• The pain is lightweight which makes it comfortable for you to hold when working and has an inbuilt nib extractor
• Enjoy up to 40-hours of battery life with one charge
• Has wireless connectivity which gives you more freedom when you need to move your tablet around
• Very affordable
• Users have reported internet connectivity issues
• The quick access buttons aren’t as responsive as one would like
3. Parblo Coast10 Tablet
The Parblo Coast10 tablet is another great investment for any comic artist that is looking for a drawing tablet for their projects. Besides the ergonomic design, it also comes bundled with great features for your day to day project needs.
• Has a 170-degree viewing angle in both vertically and horizontally letting you view your screen in numerous ways for utmost comfort
• Ergonomic design that lets you use this screen in multiple ways such as on your laps, on your desktop or with a desktop
• Because it has a battery-free pen, this adds to its lightweight nature which makes it imitate an actual drawing pen
• Since the pen is battery-free, you don’t have to worry about charging issues which means you can begin using it straight from the box
• Compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, XP AND Vista
• A large screen area that is perfect for your projects
• Compatible with multiple drawing platforms such as Comic Studio, Manga Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter and CorelDraw, Illustrator among others
• The tablet comes with a multi-plugin USB and an artist’s glove as well as other accessories
• Reported driver issues
• With rapid strokes, the pen can lag
4. Huion H610 Pro Drawing Tablet
If you want a tablet that is both affordable and has a large drawing surface, the Huion H610 Pro drawing tablet is your best bet. You are able to work on large projects comfortably without any strains whatsoever.
• Enjoy a large drawing space of 10 by 6.25-inches that easily lets you work on your projects with a lot of ease
• The surface of the tablet has a paper-like feel that helps enhance your drawing experience and prevents easy pen slippage
• Rechargeable pen with a pressure sensitivity level of 2048 and two buttons that can be programmed for accurate line and drawing capacity
• The tablet has 16 hotkeys and eight customizable buttons on the top and side that allow you to access your commands and scroll easily
• Suitable for both left and right-handed people
• Is lightweight and has a thin design making it portable
• Artist’s glove and carrying bag included
• Difficulty working with photoshop
• The pen’s pressure sensitivity level could be better
As mentioned, there are different brands of tablets in the market. Thanks to the advancement in technology, more and more brands are coming up with drawing tablets that are perfect for creatives and can help them get their work done with so much ease.
That said, there are certain factors that you need to consider when choosing a tablet for your comic drawing needs. Such factors include active area, screen resolution, pen pressure sensitivity levels, wired or wireless among others. Make sure that you do an in-depth research on the tablet you want to buy so that you don’t end up with a tablet that doesn’t suit your needs.