Last updated on February 15th, 2020 at 05:42 pm
Graphic design is an art of communication that combines text and pictures or images. These are used largely in books and advertisements. Being a visual illustrative communication or problem-solving that includes typography and photography combined in the form of a design.
Graphic designers, therefore, require printers that take into account graphic design needs such as speed, color and image resolutions. Their illustrations need to be picture-perfect and on point. Whether you are considering a laser printer or an inkjet, whether the considerations involve the cost of the toners or cartridges, printer size or project size or paper size, some of the best choices for a graphic designer include the following;
1. The Canon Pixma iP8720 Inkjet Printer
Canon printers are some of the world’s best printers when it comes to photos and graphic designs. The Canon Pixma iP8720 ranks high for any graphic designer. It can take a variety of paper weights and sizes. This means it can be used with both cardstock papers for presentation print jobs as well as the normal office paper for drafting. This makes this model of Canon printer a very economical choice. The use of the dye-based inkjet technology makes this model of printers best for fewer printhead clogs.
- It supports wireless printing as well as USB connectivity. The cartridges can be replaced individually without having to invest in packs. The high compatibility with most operating systems on which most graphic designers work, with a 6-color inking system that ensures photo quality print jobs.
- It relatively noisy and not as fast as its peers and the paper feeding is mostly manual.
2. Epson Expression Photo XP-8500
Epson Expression Photo XP-8500 is one of the fastest illustration printers on the market. It comes with a paper tray feed that can accommodate special printing paper like the cardstocks. This makes it very ideal for any creative wanting have great quality illustrations or high contrast image prints. The 6-color photo HD ink cartridges make for a varied range of mixes and great illustrative appeal.
- This printer delivers fast printing. It is also small with a space-saving design, compact and quiet with an ability to print borderless photo-quality printouts.
- The printer has a PC-free print feature using built-in USB and memory card slots. These means that graphic designers can print off-office or illustrations from design stations.
It is not a multifunctional printer and can only be used for printing only. It also doesn’t come with a built-in battery for off-mains printing.
3. Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000
This has been described as a photography and design printer. It produces very high-quality print jobs.
Its capabilities include being able to print paper as large as 13” x 19,” and it can handle most every standard paper weight and finish with a high yield capacity for every ink cartridge.
- Very easy to setup and configure with a 2.4-inch LCD interface.
- Professional Ultra HD photo quality — get brilliant borderless prints up to 13″ x 19″. Individual 6-color Claria Photo HD Ink — includes Red and Gray inks for an ultra-wide color and enhanced black-and-white prints.
- Professional projects are made easy as this printer features a 50-sheet rear tray for specialty media, including cardstock and holds different types of paper finishes in various borderless sizes starting from 4 by 6 to 13 by 19. Its ultra-compact wide-format A3+ printer — 30 percent smaller than its predecessor, easily fits on your desktop.
- It has convenient printing features that support auto 2-sided document printing, with a 200-sheet front tray with automatic double-sided printing with extraordinary efficiency.
- It is relatively bigger than some peers in the market. Can only print up to A-3 print jobs.
4. Lexmark CS410dtn Color Laser Printer
This is a fast-graphic design printer suitable for small and medium design projects. It is comparatively heavy-duty with an estimated output of up to 75, 000 pages.
The small and quiet Lexmark CS410dn network-ready color laser printer with 2-sided printing standard, 800 MHz dual-core processor and 256MB of standard memory prints at up to 32 ppm black and color.
- Lexmark Named Color Replacement and PANTONE calibration make it easy to develop a consistent brand image by accurately matching your colors. With 1200 by 1200 dpi resolution, you are able to print images with crisp graphics.
- The Lexmark’s Unison Toner guarantees consistent quality from the first to the last page. In addition, the printer has a monthly duty cycle of 6,000 pages that enables you to enjoy minimal maintenance hassles as a result of their paper handling that is a state-of-the-art.
- The printer is bigger requiring bigger office-space and not an on the move graphic design printer. It is also not a multifunctional unit and a bit costly to acquire and run and lower resolutions.
5. Brother HLL8360CDW
This is one of the fastest and efficient low-cost network graphic design printers available in the market today. It has a considerable cartridge yields of up to 3, 500 pages making it relatively cheaper to operate for small and medium creatives. It has a resolution of 2400 dpi. Its network feature makes it very ideal for graphic design projects working in different locations, with duplex and wireless printing capabilities.
- This printer has a print speed of 33 PPM for both black and colored printing making it a high-quality and fast printer for your home or business. Because the orienting cost is low, you will spend less time replacing consumables which help cut on your operating costs as it uses a 6,500-page toner cartridge.
- Flexible network connectivity and easy to setup and configure as well as convenient mobile device printing. It has an easy automatic duplex printing capability to help reduce printing costs and produce professional two-sided documents, presentations, brochures, and booklets.
- The printer has a 250-sheet paper capacity with an adjustable paper tray for a legal or letter size document. In addition, it has a multi-purpose 50-sheet tray capacity for printing alternative media as well as letterheads.
- It is not a multifunctional printer and can only be used for printing purposes. It is relatively big, space-consuming and not as portable.
The suitability of the best graphic design printer largely depends on the specific requirement of the designer.
However, in whichever situation, a graphic design printer needs to be easy to setup, easy to use and comes with the relevant features depending on what your specific requirements are.