Last updated on January 2nd, 2020 at 09:55 pm
Art has and will always be an important part of the human culture as well as a means of expression. While art has existed for thousands of years, it has undergone a lot of transformation, seeing that new technologies have come up. Today, any serious designer or artist doesn’t necessarily need to rely on their pencil and notepad to get creative.
With a computer or tablet, you can be able to create some amazing masterpieces using a mouse or stylus given you use them with a good drawing software. Some of the best drawing software in the market come with different types of paintbrushes and virtual tools to help you get produce nothing but the best drawings.
Most drawing software work with other types of hardware as well as with electronic sketchpads. This assists you to create exceptional artwork as they come with inbuilt filters, effects as well as editing features that help spruce up your creations. And while the best drawing software are all about making your life easy, choosing one isn’t given the numerous selections available in the market today.
If you set out to discover what the best software for drawing is, you will get a wide array of answers depending on who you ask the question. As such, choosing a good software is dependent on the cost of the software, willingness to compromise in regards to the software’s problems and your style of drawing. In this list, we have reviewed some of the best drawing software that you can get today depending on your needs. Take a look.
1. Adobe Photoshop CC
This is a very popular and well-known drawing software that is widely used across the globe by most artists and designers alike. This means that it’s a software that you can easily trust and rely on.
- Adobe, the creators of Photoshop, have dominated the drawing software sector for decades which gives you peace of mind when selecting it as your go-to drawing software
- It is widely used by amateurs and professionals alike which makes it even more appealing
- It offers cloud-based tools that can help you create and enrich your photos, 3D visuals, and illustrations
- Unlike other drawing software, Photoshop is very easy to use
- It’s a software that can be used to create banners, logos, websites, packaging, and icons
- Gives you the freedom to create your own designs as well as intuitive templates that come in handy for beginners or anyone working on a tight deadline
- You can easily switch between print-style and animate options and create pieces that you can enhance with a wide range of inbuilt effects
- This software has multiple pricing tiers which means that you have the freedom to choose a pricing model that fits your budget
- Adobe Photoshop CC full plan option can be quite costly especially when you consider the annual fees
- It does not have the most comprehensive of tools as a drawing software
2. Autodesk SketchBook
The Autodesk SketchBook comes with an overflow of brushes that are excellent for your drawing needs. The Autodesk SketchBook is an app that has been specifically designed for architects, designers, concept artists, and other creatives.
- Designed to suit the specific needs of designers, concept artists, and architects (AutoDesk is the company behind industry standard CAD software).
- The software has a wide range of tools that can be used to sketch as well as create amazing illustrations pretty quickly and easily
- It has a very minimalist interface that supports Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices
- Comes bundled with 140 brushes that have been pre-designed
- You have the freedom to tweak the available brushes and import your own which means you will be using a brush that you have designed by yourself and is suitable for your needs
- You can add illimitable amounts of layers when it comes to your own creations that come with grouping abilities and blending nodes
- Enjoy multi-platform support regardless of the package you settle for
- Compared to the Adobe Photoshop CC software annual’s cost, the Autodesk SketchBook is a lot cheaper as it costs $126 a year
- Easily call and talk to the customer support team or send an email or chat online should you have any issues using their software
- The company behind Autodesk SketchBook has a wide range of tutorials, documentation and training videos if you are just getting started
- Choose between a monthly or yearly plan
- Not suited for all creatives
3. Corel Painter
The Corel Painter drawing software is another excellent choice given you can design some breath-taking paints. Because Corel is known for creating some amazing software packages for creatives, you can be assured that you’re making the correct decision by choosing this software.
- Corel, the company behind the design of the Painter software, has lots of software packages that have been designed to suit creatives
- The Corel Painter is well suited for students, artists, and designers
- It comes bundled with some amazing tools such as the thick paint that can be used to daub onto a digital canvas and then blend them to create an amazing masterpiece
- It offers a wide range of brushes for you to choose from
- It gives users the freedom to create and import their own custom brushes as well as palettes for an excellent drawing experience
- Easily download the Corel Painter app on your Mac or Windows computer
- Compatible with other third-party software such as Photoshop
- Learning centers and students get a special rate through the education edition
- This drawing software isn’t as advanced as you’d imagine it to be
4. Rebelle 3
The Rebelle 3 software is an art tool that has been expertly developed as it was created by a pro artist. It has a wide scope of customization options available to users and is easy to use.
- It was developed by a pro artist
- Various customization options available which helps you create fantastic artwork
- It’s very easy to use
- Rebelle 3 is a very versatile painting and drawing application
- Designed to suit the needs of creatives working on acrylic, watercolor, dry and wet media artwork
- Has lots of watercolors, pastels, acrylics, and inks
- With the Rebelle 3, you get to enjoy realistic color blending as well as drying techniques and wet diffusion
- Wide variety of tools such as the markers, pencils, and erasers so that you don’t have to necessarily rely on paintbrushes only
- Enjoy canvas tilting as the app has the ability to do that for the canvas you are working on
- It works absolutely well with Photoshop which means you get to enjoy more blending nodes
- It has a free trial that comes in handy for anyone shopping around for a good drawing software
- None for now
5. Artweaver 6
If you want a drawing app that is nifty and boasts of collaborative chops, then you must pay attention to the Artweaver 6. This software is not only easy to use, but it also has plenty of brushes.
- The interface for Artweaver 6 is very easy to use and intuitive which makes it an excellent choice for novices
- It comes with plenty of brushes just like the Corel Painter
- It’s an old painting tool that is constantly updated for maximum efficiency
- Create your most beautiful piece of art using the predefined pencils and brushes
- Its brush systems can easily be configured to suit your exact drawing needs
- Gives you the freedom to work with other creatives on joint projects thanks to the collaboration feature
- Easily record every aspect of your work for review once you are done using this Artweaver 6 software
- It’s relatively cheap and also has a free version
- Available on Windows only
- Working on joint projects with other creatives is only possible if you are online
- The functionalities of the free Artweaver 6 version are limited
A good drawing software combined with a proper drawing tablet can help save you time as well as set you apart among your peers in the creative industry. While most of the software we have covered above are considered high-end, there are some low-end programs that you can still consider if you don’t want to pay for drawing software. And while they may not have all the tools that the paid-for programs have, they still do a decent job.
When it comes to choosing the best drawing program in the market, you need to know that there is no one software that works for everyone. The needs of every creative, designer, or artist are different. While one designer may use Adobe Photoshop CC and can swear by it, others may swear by a different software.
As such, the most important question to ask yourself before making a decision is ‘what do I need the software to do for me?’ Also, do you want a free to use software or a paid for one? By answering these simple but complex questions, you will be able to narrow down your options and find one that works for you.