Last updated on February 15th, 2020 at 06:40 pm
A wand is to a magician what a paintbrush is to a painter/ artist. Without a brush acrylic painting is almost impossible to achieve effectively. Having a good brush will elevate your skill level, and even though you are a beginner, you will appear to know what you are doing since your lines will be more precise and more apparent.
The number of acrylic brushes that flood the market every day makes it challenging to choose and separate one brush from the other. This makes selecting a brush extremely difficult. Below are some of the best acrylic brush offerings you can find in the market.
1. Komina Acrylic Paintbrush
Beginners looking to get into acrylic painting should consider purchasing the Komina paintbrushes as they can be used for multiple uses and not just acrylic painting but watercolor, gouache, and oil painting as well. Available in a kit of 15 different brushes in different sizes, the brushes feature ergonomic handles designed to provide artists with comfort while they work. Professionals and advanced level artists can also use the brushes, but they would be better suited if they opted for more refined brushes.
- The brushes are affordable as they are sensibly priced.
- The kit has a wide range of brushes that can be used for different techniques.
- Not the best for professionals and artists whose skill level is highly advanced.
2. Da Vinci Oil & Acrylic Brushes
Available for a single unit purchase or as a set, the Da Vinci Oil & Acrylic brushes come in five different diameters and feature synthetic bristles. The brush is ideal for acrylic painting because they can withstand vigorous use and still maintain their shape and have a precise snap because of how stiff they are.
- The brush bristles distribute the paint evenly and have great paint hold thanks to the perfect mix of thick and thin fibers.
- They are ideal for large scale work as they can withstand prolonged use and absorb paint quite well.
- Some users reported extreme splatter while using the brush.
- The brush strokes are not smooth.
3. D’Artisan Maestro Series XV Acrylic Watercolor and Oil Paintbrush set
Sold in a set of 15 brushes, the D’Artisan Maestro acrylic paintbrushes are revered by artist all over. This particular set offers professional artists variety and quality. The bristles hold and distribute the paint evenly and flake easily. The brush bristles are made from high-quality natural hog hair and synthetic fiber and are held together perfectly to deliver excellent brush strokes. This brush is versatile and can be used with several mediums such as oil paints, acrylic paints, and even watercolor paints.
- Artists get a wide range of brush variety and can achieve any painting technique as they get four flat paintbrushes, one fan brush, 3 round brushes, four filbert brushes, one angle brush, one rigger brush, and one wide brush.
- Ergonomic long handles that are incredibly light in weight and offer comfort during prolonged use sessions.
Easy to clean.
- Professional grade brushes that can be used by beginners and mid-level artists.
- The bristles come apart easily as the ferrules are relatively loose. You will need to exercise caution when using the brush.
- The set is expensive
4. ArtBrush Tower Acrylic & Watercolor Miniature Paintbrushes
These Miniature paintbrushes by ArtBrush Tower have been designed for fine detail acrylic painting and feature soft synthetic fibers, chrome plated brass ferrules, and short wood handles. The wood handles on these brushes are quite comfortable to use and bring the finest control to your hand while the brush bristles can be used on multiple surfaces such as canvases, figurines, and ornaments.
- They deliver great results regardless of the surface which means you will not have to purchase medium specific brushes if you are working with multiple surfaces.
- Work perfectly to provide intricate details on artwork.
- Can be bought in single units or in a set containing an assortment of 7 brushes.
- The ferrules are tightly secured to ensure that your brushes do not fall apart.
- The coating on the handle cracks and falls off.
- The brushes are excessively stiff.
5. Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Paintbrush
Ideal for both acrylic and oil painting, these Art Advantage paintbrushes are available in a set of 24 brushes, 12 of which have natural fiber and the other 12 are made using synthetic fiber. They have long ergonomic handles with brush diameters sizes of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. If you are looking for a brush that will deliver bang for your buck, then this paintbrush set from Art Advantage will do just that.
- They are extremely affordable.
- If taken care of, the brushes are long lasting.
- Artists get a wide range of brushes that can be used for different techniques.
- The storage pouch doubles up as a canvas that can be used for painting exercises.
- The bristles are tough and don’t give smooth strokes as the bristle tips tend to stick together
- For the same price, you could get better performing brushes.
6. AIT Art Fine Detail Acrylic Paintbrush Set
Featuring liner and small round brushes and a shader for professional sharp lines and minuscule details, artists can express their art more precisely. Consisting of synthetic fibers and long handles, the brushes can be used by all artist regardless of their skill level. They are durable and perform exceptionally well
- AIT Art acrylic brushes are not susceptible to rusting.
- The brush bristles do not shed easily making them easy to clean.
- Consisting of 11 brushes, artists get an assortment of different sized brushes.
- Extremely affordable and give value for money.
- The precision points do not last for long.
There are several types of acrylic brushes, and while you do not need to use them all, it doesn’t hurt for you know them so it can be more fun when you use the wrong brush for a technique you can at least laugh at yourself. The types of acrylic brushes include; a wash brush, an angled brush, flat brush, fan brush, liner brush, and round brushes. Experimenting with all these brushes is great for developing your skills and making you a better artist.