Last updated on January 2nd, 2020 at 09:57 pm
Laser triangulation technology was launched at the end of the 1970s, paving the way for new 3D scanning technology that we get to enjoy today. Typically reserved for industrialists, 3D scanners have progressed over time, thus facilitating the design and creation of cost-effective 3D scanners. Today, 3D scanning has been applied in multiple fields, including 3D figurines and 3D selfies, dental, architecture, reverse engineering, and metrology/inspection. For each of these applications, there are different forms of scanners such as desktop 3D scanners, handheld 3D scanners, 3D body scanners, and even 3D scanning mobile apps. Each of this is different in functionality as well as features as they can either scan the surface of the object or the dimensions and distance of the object. When it comes to 3D printing, 3D printers, are a lot more popular than 3D scanners, scanners are an essential component in the ecosystem of 3D printing. The market is flooded with many types of 3D scanners, including 3D desktop scanners, and 3D handheld scanners,
Finding the best 3D scanner can be challenging. We conducted some thorough research so we could help you on your journey to find the best 3D scanner for your needs. With this option of the best 3D scanners available in the market, we aim to overcome the problem and provide a guided but brief overview of the options you can consider.
EinScan Pro+ is today one of the best 3D Scanners available on the market because of its powerful features. Its design is like no other we have seen before, and we were pleasantly surprised. When scanning an object, it’s lightweight, easy to grip and move around. We were also impressed by the easy configuration of its hardware and software. This 3D scanner is compatible with both the hardware and software of third parties, and as such, capturing, the exact details, size, color, and texture of the object is effortless. This 3D scanner also facilitates modeling through CAD (Computer Aided Design). Our favorite thing about the EinScan Pro+ has to be its multi-functional nature. With four versatile scanning modes, the portability and accuracy of this scanner are outstanding. Thus, you can quickly and conveniently scan objects irrespective of their size and functionality to achieve excellent results.
- Users Have four different modes of scanning, namely handheld HD scan, handheld rapid scan, automatic scan, and the fixed scan that they can use.
- Users receive 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty and Lifetime Support
- Its Sleek and lightweight design facilitates users being able to use it for more extended periods
- High-end hardware is required when using the scanner, and this only piles to the cost of the scanner.
- It is difficult to scan in daylight or light.
- It is expensive
3D Systems SENSE2 3D SCANNER
This scanners characteristics and potential makes it one of the best 3D scanning digital tools you can find in the market. Not only is it quick and practical to use, but this handheld 3D scanner also collects and processes data engendering a comprehensive mesh of polygons. Finally, it accelerates the process of data acquisition by more than 60 %. The Sense 3D scan can edit via the touchscreen to improve the design, color, dimensions, and shape of your images to produce imitation models. However, to use this feature, you need a computer, which means that you must carry both items when scanning. Unlike other types of scanners, this one is USB-powered. If you wish to create high-quality 3D models from large objects quickly, Sense is the scanner for you.
- For this scanner, portability is a matter of excellence, because as transportation is light and easy.
- The scanner is wholly integrated with Cube 3D printer.
- It is very affordable in comparison to its competitors.
- It needs quite some effort for users to achieve their first-time scan, which makes it less than ideal for beginners.
- You must have a computer when conducting your scan; otherwise, it will not work.
- The scanning of small objects does not deliver quality outcomes as the scanner has trouble gathering details and cannot process objects that are transparent or shiny.
MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner
The Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner by MakerBot is the kind of scanners that beginners will have a field day with. It is ideal for individuals on a budget who are looking for efficiency and ease of use in a 3D scanner. In less than 10 minutes, you should be able to produce an excellent 3D model as the scanner is fully assembled and inspected to confirm functionality upon delivery. The MultiScan technology included in the Digitizer software, lets you make many scans of an object from different angles. It also allows you to scan hidden components that the scanner does not otherwise have access to. You can also merge various views and create a complete object scan, and after a couple of tries and run-throughs, you should be able to create an impressive 3D scan item.
- The scanners assembly is done for you, thus taking away the hassle of reading and configuring the scanner.
- The scanner is capable of scanning objects several times in any angle.
- It is affordable, and users get free software to boot.
- We have seen better scanning resolution.
- You cannot operate it without a computer, and this can be rather inconveniencing.
Matter & Form Mfs1V2 3D Scanner
Meant to be a perfect 3D printing companion, you can pair your favorite 3D printer with the Matter & Form Mfs1V2 3D Scanner. In three easy steps, i.e., mesh, scan, and export, you can effortlessly integrate the scanner to your workflow. This scanner has a smart and foldable design that facilitates neatness and order maintenance in the work area. It is an excellent tool for digital art and creative design processes, and it is also a valuable tool for the archiving, research and education through the convergence of the arts, science, and technology
- Users get a 2-year warranty when they purchase the scanner.
- You have complete control of your scanning setup.
- It functions effortlessly when conducting multiple scans.
- In terms of quality results, it can compete with professional 3D scanners
- The scanner requires users to be knowledgeable enough with 3D printing and editing, and as such, it may not be ideal for beginners.
- Requires 4 GB of high-resolution scanning graphics card memory which is not available on your typical laptops.
- The scanner is relatively slow and takes long durations to complete a model.
Xbox One Kinect Sensor
Even though the Xbox One Kinect Sensor is a gaming accessory, it is a fully-fledged 3D scanner capable of achieving 3D scans. However, to enable the Kinect Sensor as a 3D scanner, you must have the dedicated software provided by Microsoft. The user can then specify the dimension and resolution once they are ready. This scanner’s capabilities are quite impressive as it can scan both a handheld and a stationary object. It’s in our opinion one of the best budget scanners on the market, given that it doubles as a 3d scanner and gaming accessory. When using this scanner, we would recommend that you use it on a non-reflective background that will not interfere with the scan.
- The scanner is affordable and reasonably priced.
- It is equipped with a high-quality color VGA video camera as well as a multi-array microphone
- The scanner is straightforward to set up.
- The scanner is much bigger and bulkier than it seems.
- To use this device as a 3D scanner, you need to download its specific software.
- Only functions with windows 10.
BQ Ciclop 3D scanner
A fully open source laser scanner, the BQ Ciclop is another affordable option you can consider without having to break the bank. It has a simple design with the basic features you need to scan an object. Its simple design should not fool you as this printer can get tricky very fast. For example, to convert your files into printable STL files, you will need multiple 3d scanning software.
- You can be part of a huge community of users especially if you are familiar with coding
- It is affordable and versatile
- It applies open source for its functionality.
- This scanner is not ideal for beginners as it requires effort, prior experience, and knowledge.
- To convert your files, you need several 3D scanning software.
The application of 3d scanning varies from field to field, and as such, the features essential to generate a great 3D model are different. When choosing a scanner, you must do so in accordance with the desired use and results. The scanning technologies used in the printers is what makes them different. Some scanners utilize Photogrammetry, triangulation, and contact while others function using structured light that is projected to a series of light linear pattern onto an object. Alongside with your budget and intent, be sure to consider the scanner’s functionality.
We hope that you found our list to be helpful.